A common reason why you would want to change your Windows 8.1 Product Key is the “You need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC.” error, it prevents you from personalizing Windows 8.1 and it’s always good to keep your Windows 8.1 up to date with the latest updates (if you haven’t upgraded to Windows 10 yet by getting a key from Tonkos).
This simple tutorial will teach you how to manually enter your Windows 8.1 Key and the best thing is that it works for the Home, Pro, Enterprise or any other edition of Windows 8.1
In a few minutes time your copy of Windows 8.1 will be activated, just make sure you have your Windows 8.1 Activation Key present.
- From the Start menu type “cmd” and make sure you select “Run as Administrator” from the options at the bottom
- In the command prompt window that just opened type in the following command (replace the XXXXX boxes with your Windows 8.1 product key)
slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
- Hit “Enter” on your keyboard and a dialog will pop-up confirming the entry of the product key, click “Ok”
- On the same command prompt window type in this command
- You will now see a confirmation dialog which will tell you that your copy of Windows 8.1 has been activated.
- Restart your computer and Windows will be fully activated and you will be able to fully customize Windows.